Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Abby's ride home

The other day I went to pick up the kids from school. Everything was fine and I sent the kids on home ahead of me (they ride really slow and it is even hard for me to coast on my bike behind them without running into them eventually). As I am riding home minding my own business and not really paying attention to my surroundings, I see Abby out of the corner of my eye, not on the bike path. I immediately put on my brakes all the while trying to keep Alex on the back of my bike, get my bike off the bike path and find Abby with tears running down her cheeks and two concerned ladies next to her. Of course, I am thinking that she got hurt and am quite worried. The two ladies, seeing that I was someone she knew, let me know what the problem was. It seems that a spider had crawled out of her handle bars and she had freaked out. It was all very fun trying to get her to bring her bike home, seeing as how I could not help her, and then convincing her the next morning that she should ride the bike to school. It seems that riding a bike is not without it's perils here in Holland with all the wind, rain and the killer spiders.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

That would freak me out too Abby! Boo to nasty sneaky spiders crawling out of handlebars.

Anonymous said...

Completely funny! Glad thats never happened to me, I would have crashed too.

Kevin said...

Gee, Abby, Think of it from the spider's point of view. What if you just layed down for nap then realized you were trucking down some road that you didn't recognize. Talk about freaky. Poor spider. :)