Thursday, August 7, 2008

When the cat is away...

Chris and Hannah are away at camp this week hopefully having a lot of fun and I am tired of looking at our last post, so I decided to add my own two cents even though there hasn't actually been anything going on here. When Chris is out of town I usually do some heavy duty cleaning so I sent the kids upstairs to start on their room. I can hear some nasty arguing upstairs and it sure makes motherhood worth it doesn't it? Am I the only one who has to deal with this???

As some of you know I have started an official Dutch class and am really enjoying it. Finally, starting to feel like I am learning something new. The class is interesting because there are several languages that are spoken and there are only about 4 or 5 of us that speak English. There are also Arabic, Indonessian, Chinese, Polish, Romanian, French and Serbian (I am sure that I am not saying or spelling these right) natives and a few of them only speak their native language and what little Dutch they know. It makes things very difficult because things have to be explained in several languages and it takes a lot of time, but I am not complaining though since this is the first class I could find in 7 months that wasn't super expensive.

As I was getting ready to leave for class this morning, it started to get really overcast. By the time I walked out the door to catch the metro, it was really pouring. Now, I am not talking a rainy day in UT pouring, I am talking the rain is coming down so hard that it doesn't help to blink your eyes or squint for that matter because you have a river of water running through them (if you have never experienced this kind of rain before try holding your head under a kitchen sink faucet with it on all the way). By the time I got to the metro, which is really just a block away, I was soaked and just getting wetter, if that is possible. I had decided earlier that I was just going to wear flip-flops and capris with a sweatshirt and take an umbrella along too because even though it is really wet here is is still really warm and humid and I didn't want to be sitting in a steamy classroom overdressed. I tend to do that a lot and it is really miserable. I still have not figured out how to dress here. Anyway, as I am getting on the metro in my sponge like shoes (or thongs as us older folk know them by) I make this really big step off the platform and do a not so graceful almost split. Luckily, not full splits because that would have been somewhat uncomfortable, but maybe more graceful looking I am thinking. It was very embarrassing and I am sure really funny looking. I really was glad that I was wearing thongs :) after wading through puddles up to almost mid-clalf but I still ended up at class soaked to mid thigh (even with a very large umbrella) and a scuffed up knee. I was almost dry by the time I left for home 3 hours later.

Can I just say that I miss dill pickles. I can only find sweet-sour (that is the direct translation and it makes no sense) pickles. It is really sad. Picture me standing in a puddle up to my knees, soaking wet eating a disgusting semi-sweet pickle. It is a sad picture indeed.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the sweet pickle, the perfectly bad end to a perfectly disastrous outing. LOL. Can you make them yourself? I could sneek you some dill seeds to grow. LOL.

Anonymous said...

yeah i was going to ask if you can can your own dill pickles too. i would miss them horribly! too bad i'm not rich and retired and able to just bring a bunch of them over to you! lol :)

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you, Kristal. We miss all of you very much, but I can't agree with you on the pickles. I don't like pickles of any kind. By the way, happy birthday on the 9th. Love, Lorraine

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you, Kristal. We miss all of you very much. I have to disagree with you on the pickles, though. I don't like pickles of any kind. We love you. Lorraine

Kevin said...

I'd like to see that rain (from inside a dry building, of course). We celebrated Ami's and Diego's B-day today and your birthday. (40th right?) :)
I'm going camping up Diamond Fork Canyon with 4 kids this weekend. wish me luck!

Kristal said...

Oh, you are so funny Kevin!!! I hope the bears chew off your leg:)

Kevin said...

Kristal, you forced me into it; I went to Cabelas yesterday and bought some "Buffalo Bore" ammo just in case your birthday wish comes true.
By the way, do you know about the lady from Logan? If that question doesn't make any sense, email me.

Kristal said...

Yes, I meant for that comment to be funny and light hearted and then I thought, "Oh crap, they do have actual bears that eat people in UT, that sounded bad!" Anyway, by then it was too late. Hopefully, you don't have to use your ammo on your trip:)