Wednesday, October 1, 2008

DVD Copying

I just have to go off on this and express my opinion. Monday, the six major studios filed a lawsuit against RealNetworks to stop the sell of a new DVD copying software called RealDVD. Hollywood claims that this bypasses built-in anti-copying security which is against the law. Real has stated that the security is not touched and it will only play in their software player and has a key that will not allow it to be copied on endless computers.

Hollywood is a joke...

So much time has been spent on the fight between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and fighting digital copying but does no one see the path that entertainment is heading (or should be)??? Why would I actually go to the store and flip through the DVDs to hopefully find the one I want then spend an hour taking off the wrapping and those stupid stickers? Why not just go online and download it directly to my Home Entertainment PC (HTPC)? With the speed of internet increasing always, it will get faster and faster. I think they should concentrate on the security of a completely digital file format because already millions of people have created and are using daily their HTPC like I am. The problem is there since Hollywood has their head so far up there we have to resort to illegally (supposedly) copying the DVD I just bought to the HTPC. If you bought and own a copy of the movie, who cares how it is watched?

If you are not familiar with the concept of HTPC, I will upload a video of mine later but basically you turn on your TV and you see menu options like Music, Videos, Pictures etc... If you select Videos it takes you to more options depending on how it is setup. On mine I have a category for TV Shows that have been recorded then my movies collection, kids movie collection, church movies and then misc... Once you selct a category, you lists of movies that are available seen by a thumbnail of the DVD cover. Find the one you want, press OK on the remote and it plays. Think of it as Tivo but better because space is unlimited. I currently have 3.5 terabytes (3500 GB) of hard drive space and with the 1.5 TB hard drives coming out now I can easily increase the system to a total of 6 - 7.5 TB if needed.

I love my HTPC!!!

2 comments:

Kristal said...

It's all white noise to me:) Love you, hun!

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Your system is great! When are you coming back to set something up like that here?
We miss you guys so much. With the economy the way it is I sure am glad that we came when we did.
Love you guys!

Arla