Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Single Parenting

This is our deal...I have to get up first in the morning and wake up the kids, make breakfast, make lunches and snacks for school and make sure the kids are ready to go on time and Chris gets to take Alex to school on his way to work. I like this deal because I hate to be cold and would rather get up an hour earlier then ride my bike on a winter morning. I know this sounds strange to everyone out there who knows how much I like my sleep though. Well, the last couple of weeks Chris has been out of town a lot, so I have had to do the single parent thing. I truly admire anyone who has to do this on a permanent basis.
Yesterday, I saw a teenage girl on a bike right in front of Alex and me almost get run over by a minivan...so scary, by the way. Luckily, she was paying attention and swerved out of the way before she got hit. I don't think I wouldn't have been that quick with the swerving, not that steady on a bike yet. This girl was amazing though, she was even holding an umbrella in one hand and steering with the other and it didn't seem to phase her too much. I on the other hand had a hard time not swearing and really wanted to go and rip apart the crazy driver of this minivan. Irrational anger, I know, but this is how I am sometimes.
This morning, after having rained for a good few days straight, was freezing cold, but clear and pleasant looking. I thought all was well until I went to cross a road and realized that it was a sheet of ice and another crazy driver was about to turn right onto us and then couldn't slow down, just sliding right for us, fun, fun...after that, I decided that I would be smart and walk my bike like everyone else seemed to be doing and tried to stop and get off my bike. Alex and I and the bike all ended up on the ground. We weren't moving forward at the time so we didn't get hurt and it was mildly amusing. Even Alex thought that is was pretty funny. We weren't the only ones who ended up kissing the ice though so I didn't feel too embarrassed about the whole thing. We did end up walking about half of the way to the school and did not have another tumble.
Only two more days of this...Chris, please come home soon!!!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Kristal, I love and appreciate you. You are amazing! Be strong, you will make it. I will see you Friday night.

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry! i do not envy you at all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristal,

I've finally found you guys! E-mail me some time. allisonewell@q.com.