Monday, September 15, 2008

A slightly painful weekend

My right shoulder has been giving me pain every once in a while. While I was an electrician I hurt it somehow and since then it gets a 'dead' pain or it hurts to throw a ball or stuff like that. In the beginning of August I went to Young Men's camp and we played a game of British Bulldog. Basically one person stands in the middle of a field while everyone else tries to run from side to side without being tackled and lifted off the ground. If you do get caught, you join in the middle trying to tackle other people until the last person remains and tries to get past the mob of people in the center. One time, I tackled someone about as big as myself and be both went down hard onto my left shoulder. It did not hurt at first but that night, I felt the pain start.

It has now been a month since that happened and my left shoulder has been feeling a bit better. On Friday, I went to a joint YM/YM activity in Den Bosch and we played British Bulldog again. This time it was indoors in a gym so I decided I would not tackle anyone to the ground so I should not get hurt again. There I was in the middle attacking people, lifting them until it got down to just a few people, most of which were adult men. I decided it was time for one guy to go down so I set me sits on him ready to stop him in his path. He ran towards me and I stood my ground. When he got up to me I wrapped my arms around him and help tight ready to stop him. Unfortunatly, he had momentum on his side and after a very quick fight, he ripped out of my arms. The crazy part about this is as he broke free, everything seemed to go fuzzy and dark for a split second. That's shock for ya, I didn't realize it at the time because my adrenalin(??? like I can spell) was going but that sent a shock up my arms and right into my already injured shoulders. Since that time, I have been in pain. Not bad pain, just really annoying pain. I think I am done with field sports for awhile.

Sunday, we had a young couple over for dinner. They just moved here from Utah with their 3 year old and 11 month old boys. He is working as an IT person for a startup company here in Holland. I guess his company purchased this company and that lead to his position here. It is kind of cool talking to Americans every once in a while, especially if they are Republicans. Europeans, generally, lean so far to the left they have forgotten completely about their right side and pretend it is not there (the image of the man with one very strong arm and one very weak arm in the movie 'The Lady in the Water' comes to mind). This blame this mostly on the media as they lean very one-sided in their reporting. Anyway, it is nice to have a conversation with someone that knows the whole story on all candidates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hope you get feeling better soon! shoulder pains seem to stick around far too long in my opinion!