Sunday, January 18, 2009

Our new ward

The last Sunday of December was the last meeting of the ward Capelle in the Netherlands. It was decided by the stake that in order to increase the size of 2 wards, they would make 3 wards into 2. Half went to the ward Rotterdam 1 and half to the ward Gouda. At the time of that meeting, we lived in the boundaries for ward Rotterdam 1 but on New Years Day, we moved 5 kilometers to the north from Capelle aan den IJssel into Rotterdam or as we say here Omoord which is an area of Rotterdam. Now, we are in the Gouda ward boundaries.

Before we took the metro and it was a quick 5 minute walk from the metro stop to the church. All in all it usually took 25-30 minutes to get to church. Now we take the metro a couple of stops to a train station and then take a train to Gouda then have again, about a 5 minute walk to the church. It still takes 25-30 minutes to get to church.

Today I was sustained as the Young Mens President of the new ward. The new bishop set me apart and though he speaks english, he has a hard time expressing himself spiritually in english so he did the prayer in dutch. I understood most of it, which is good, but either way, I think I would get the blessings anyway.

As for the move, we are still getting settled doing things here and there that make our house more a home. In the last week I was able to accomplish little things like hanging hooks in the entryway for coats and mounting a cabinet and towel rack in the bathroom. I also started to build a desk for the computer in the living room. I still have a long list of things to do and it seems to grow every day a little but I am the type of person that has to have projects so this list is good. The only issue is it cuts into my movie time. Last Saturday was the first time in 2 months or so that I have had the chance to see a film and considering I am paying for an unlimited pass each month. OK, off the subject....still

No comments: